The Specialist, Accounting is responsible for month-end closing activities, including bank, investment and other account reconciliations, account allocations, indirect cost allocation and reconciliation of assigned general ledger accounts. The incumbent allocates monthly expense charges to the appropriate cost centers and serves as point of contact for questions regarding general ledger entries. This position reports to the Senior Specialist, Accounting.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Perform and complete all closing activities within 10 business days after the end of the month.
- Prepare and request cash drawdowns from the DHHS Division of Payment Management on a weekly basis.
- Enter all bank transactions into the accounting system on a weekly basis.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations using the accounting system’s cash module as part of monthly/year-end closing process.
- Prepare monthly investment reconciliation and corresponding journal entries as part of monthly/year-end closing process
- Allocate periodic expenses, including but not limited to benefits, American Express, and postage charges to the appropriate department/cost centers as part of monthly/year-end closing process.
- Assign overhead expense to the appropriate department/cost center using negotiated Federal rates as part of monthly/year-end closing process.
- Reconcile all assigned general ledger accounts on a monthly basis as part of monthly/year-end closing process.
- Maintain fixed asset, leasehold improvement and rent abatement schedules and depreciate/amortize on a monthly basis as part of monthly/year-end closing process.
- Maintain records of and recognize prepaid expenses, preparing journal entries as part of monthly/year-end closing process.
- Prepare journal entries for corrections/reallocation of funds as requested, ensuring that adequate documentation supports each request.
- Respond to questions and inquiries from staff in a timely manner.
- Serve as back up to Specialist, Payroll and Accounts Receivable for all NetForum functions.
- Prepare audit schedules and reports as assigned for both the interim and year-end audit.
- Maintain policies and procedures for areas of responsibility.
- Perform special projects as assigned.
- Maintain SharePoint site for American Express allocations.
- Maintain the Prepaid module in the accounting system, and review with Senior Specialist every month to ensure accuracy.
- Other duties as assigned.
In performing the above duties, the Accounting Specialist, General Ledger will ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and the Association’s policies and procedures.
This position requires an individual with a high level of attention to detail and accuracy, the ability to consistently meet deadlines, work independently and with others and exhibits strong customer service skills.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Minimum qualifications are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- Two to four years relevant accounting experience.
- Sound knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics SL/ accounting software preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Advanced level of knowledge of Microsoft Excel. Experience with pivot tables required.
- Knowledge of accounting for Federal grants is a plus.
- Knowledge of Association Management Software a plus.
- Well organized, detail-oriented, excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to meet deadlines and have time management skills to handle projects simultaneously.
- The ability to analyze and interpret financial data, to research and resolve complex accounting issues and develop appropriate solutions.
- Familiarity with project multi-cost center organizations.
- Ability to function as a member of a team of professionals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to develop own plans, and to contribute to company on non-financial issues.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a colleague to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the colleague is required to sit for long periods at a time; type using a computer keyboard; visually read information off of a computer monitor; talk, hear, and orally communicate information over the telephone. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee could be exposed to outdoor weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment may vary from light to moderate depending on the location.
CRITERIA FOR PERFORMANCE EVALUATION:
Performance evaluation will be based on the abilities in meeting the criteria outlined herein.
POSITION REPORTS TO:
Sr. Specialist, Accounting
POSITION DESCRIPTION STATUS:
The duties and responsibilities listed in this job description are illustrative ones anticipated for this position. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned as required. Association of Public Health Labs (APHL) reserves the right to amend or change this job description to meet the needs of its programs. This job description and any attachments do no constitute or represent a contract.
Association of Public Health Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer.